Happy Friday—it’s hazy and misty (when it’s not raining buckets) here in NYC. Why did I blow-dry my hair this morning? Rookie mistake…If your plans include staying inside with a mug of tea and a book, allow me to live vicariously…It also happens to be the kind of morning that calls for a stick-to-your ribs breakfast. At least I got that one down.
This was an experiment gone very, very right. I was inspired by this recipe, and I’ll definitely be making this again. I made mine ahead of time in a double-batch and reheated each serving, but below is what you need for one bowl.
- 1/3 c oats
- 1 c water (more if needed)
- 1/2 cup finely grated zucchini (more is ok too)
- 1 /2 banana, sliced
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Bring water to a boil. Add oats, flax, cinnamon.
- Reduce heat and add banana and zucchini. Stir frequently, breaking up bits of fruit. Allow to cook until liquid is absorbed and banana and zucchini are soft (I should not be giggling as I type this). In the last two minutes, add vanilla.
- Enjoy warm and topped with whatever does it for you—I went with sunflower seed butter.
What’s your favorite rainy-day breakfast?