Good morning! How’s your week going? My inner clock is a bit confused from working Friday through Monday, so today is sort of like my Sunday this week. Whatever works, right?
This actual past Sunday was gorgeous in New York. Waiting for the bus in the morning felt almost like spring. While scrolling through my Instagram feed, I noticed a post from Foodtrainers featuring a quote from one of my favorite Leonard Cohen songs: “There is a crack, a crack in everything/That’s how the light gets in.”
That line has been in my head since then. It’s the kind of thing that, when you sit and think about it, takes on more meaning and depth. The way I respond to it certainly has changed and evolved since I first started listening to L. Cohen when I was 18, but in other ways, some things remain the same.
Anyway, light has been on my mind a lot in general, mostly because I’m getting a lot more of it in my day to day life. I mean that in the most literal sense of the word. After spending almost nine months in a windowless office, I’m still not over the novelty of sunlight as I eat breakfast at my desk. Today’s What I Ate Wednesday post will feature Sunday’s well-lit meals and snacks. I definitely notice I need to eat more snacks to get me through work days, especially at this new place, where I feel like on my feet in a way I haven’t been since I was a dietetic intern. I can’t lie, though—I kind of love it. As always, many thanks to the lovely Jenn of Peas & Crayons for hosting the weekly link party—take a little trip over there to see more WIAW from other bloggers!
- Breakfast: Overnight oats made with Greek yogurt, 1 tbsp flax, 2 tbsp oats, cinnamon, and berries—simple and satisfying
- Lunch: Big salad with roasted veggies, black beans, and half an avocado
- Snacks: Green apple, Trader Joe’s teriyaki turkey jerky
- Dinner Part One/After-Work Snack: Sprouted grain toast spread with nonfat ricotta and topped with roasted eggplant and a sliced hard-boiled egg
- Super Bowl Party Snacks: I was pretty full from my snack/mini-dinner, so I munched on some carrots and hummus
- Dinner Part Two: Red lentil chili (again—I have lots in my freezer) when I got home from the party and realized I was hungry. Working hours that are different from other people’s “normal” means weird meal times occasionally, but as long as it all works out in the end, no harm no foul.
- Chocolate Fix: I had a square of this before calling it a night. This chocolate is basically my wildest PMS dreams come true.
Actually, I think my wildest PMS dream of late is a recent one about trying to froth coconut water, mostly to see if it worked. Long story. Paging Dr. Freud.
Do you have natural light in your workplace? What’s your wildest PMS dream? Any good Super Bowl eats?