So I know I promised these a few days ago. Then the rest of the week happened. So much for relaxing times—I feel like I was barely home! I have no complaints though…
These are strange but delightful. I’m not sorry the veggie burgers never happened. This week I’m joining the Weekend Kitchen Creations link party. Take a visit for more recipes from other bloggers!
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, well drained
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg (or flax/chia egg)
- cumin, salt, pepper, chili powder to taste
- 2 tbsp vital wheat gluten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion, garlic, and green pepper until soft.
- Add black beans and spices. Cook until well combined and take off heat.
- When bean mixture is cool enough to handle. Pour into a large bowl and mash well with whatever blunt object or kitchen appliance works for you. Add rice and continue to mash.
- Mix in the egg. Add vital wheat gluten 1/2 tbsp at a time until mixture thickens up to be scooped.
- Line a muffin tin with spray oil or line 6 cups with paper. Scoop batter into each cup until they are even.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.
- Eat alone or over salad, eggs, or other dish that would benefit from the addition of rice & beans.
What do you eat with rice & beans?