Good morning! How’s your week so far? After spending yesterday working on a writing project, catching up on laundry, and taking care of some other day-to-day things, I’m heading into the hospital for a few hours to finish up some training and then heading out to NJ to give a presentation on nutrition and skin health as part of a fun fitness event! Typical of me, I’m more nervous about what to wear than about the presentation itself—I’m of those weirdos who likes speaking in front of big groups, even though I do blush if called on in cooking classes and the like.
Lately, I’ve really been digging plum oatmeal topped with tahini and honey. In the past year, this has become one of those breakfasts that I make so often, I kind of assumed I had written a recipe post. Not so, apparently. Let’s remedy that.
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 1 plum, sliced and chopped into small pieces
- a few raisins (optional)
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1 4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 c liquid egg whites or 1 egg (optional)
- 1/2 tbsp tahini
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp honey (or bee pollen)
- Bring water to a boil. Stir in oats, flax, plum, raisins and spices. Lower heat.
- Cook ~5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- When water is almost all absorbed, add the egg whites, if using, and whisk 2-3 minutes.
- Cover pot with a lid for ~5 minutes.
- Enjoy hot and topped with tahini and honey or bee pollen.
What’s one of your favorite breakfasts?