Latest Impulse buy: figs. I was walking down the street yesterday when I happened upon a fruit cart with some gorgeous figs. $3 a box. Sure, why not? Maybe I’d roast some to throw in salads or on top of breakfast or grab before an early-morning workout.
And then the guy said, “2 for $5?” and put another box in my bag. I shrugged and said yes. It felt right at the time, but then as I continued walking I was thinking, “Jess, what the f*** was that? You are a household of one—you do not need double-figs.”
- 1 small container black figs (~12 oz), cleaned and quartered
- 3/4 cup water
- the juice of one lemon
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, grated or 1/4 tsp powdered ginger
- 1 tbsp honey or other sweetener of choice (you can use more or less depending on preference)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- splash of bourbon (optional but delicious if you have some on hand to experiment with)
- Combine figs, ginger, and water in a saucepan. Heat on high for ~10 minutes to soften the fruit
- Add bourbon, if using. Cook on high a few more minutes, stirring frequently so fruit doesn’t stick to pan.
- Reduce heat. Add chia seeds, vanilla, and lemon. Stir well. Cover and cook on low for ~45 minutes, stirring every few minutes to break up pieces of fruit and prevent burning. Add sweetener to taste. Cook another 5 minutes on low, stirring frequently.
- You’ll know it’s done when you have a sticky paste. Enjoy warm or pour into a container and store in the fridge. Enjoy on toast or oatmeal, mixed into yogurt, or with cheese.
I still have to figure out what to do with the other box…
Do you like figs? What’s your favorite way to eat them?