Good morning! Thanks for sharing your favorite go-to snacks on Wednesday. Today happens to be my birthday and I used my floating vacation day from Labor Day today instead of in September so I could take the day off. I’m also taking a break from regular posting in favor of a little fun randomness. Thanks to Raechel from the RebelGrrrl Kitchen, who nominated me for a Liebster Award the other day!
Liebster comes from the German word for “dearest,” and the award is designed to honor and promote bloggers that you appreciate. It’s also a way to get to know the blog creators a little better. It has five parts:
- Write 11 random facts about yourself.
- Answer the 11 interview questions you’ve been given by the person who nominated you.
- Create 11 new questions.
- Nominate 11 bloggers and mention them in your post.
- Go and tell the person who nominated you, along with the people you’ve nominated about your post.
11 Random Facts
1. I pay attention to the moon and the planets. Even if it’s total BS, being aware of some potential celestial influences has never steered me wrong.
2. I do not take a multi-vitamin. However, I do take vitamin C, vitamin D, calcium, a probiotic, and fish oil. The fish oil is a more recent addition, as I’m seeing if it helps keep the eczema away this winter.
3. I have a tattoo on the inside of my right wrist that says, “Yes.” Aside from being a reminder to think positively and be strong in my decisions and actions, I also kind of got it because I love this story.
4. I have deformed feet. This is the main reason you will never see me posting about running. Or about high heels. Or okay, not that often, because sometimes a lady just wants to feel like a lady. Or something.
5. My first real job was teaching tennis at a local swim club when I was 15. I did that for two summers and then basically gave up tennis for poetry. I still played for fun but had no interest in competing or teaching anymore.
6. I have a tennis racquet but have not picked it up since the summer of 2007. I’d love to find someone to play with, though!
7. I play the harp and the ukulele, but I totally suck right now, as the whole work/internship/grad school thing makes practicing hard. It’s a good day if I remember to tune the instruments. My favorite song to play on the harp right now is Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” and my favorite song on the ukulele is probably the Rolling Stone’s “Dead Flowers” because, well, come on—it’s a great song! Yes, I always sing along, and hopefully my neighbors don’t mind too much. This week I’ve been teaching myself James Taylor’s “Sweet Baby James” on the uke because it’s way easier than I thought it would be.
8. During the week, I go to bed pretty early. I used to be embarrassed about going to bed at 10 pm on a weeknight, but I prefer being clear-headed during the day when I’m seeing patients.
9. I eat plain yogurt almost every day. Me & lactose are just fine.
10. Since high school, I’ve started almost every morning with oatmeal. I even wrote a personal essay a few years ago about the variations over the years and how they reflected what was going on in my life. I remember sharing some of the weird sh!t I used to make in college, the first time I lived alone. Um, yeah. I think maybe one other person has ever read it. I haven’t looked at it in a few years. I’m sure it’s pretty bad.
11. I think “thank you” is one of the most powerful phrases there is. I say it as often as I remember.
1. You are hosting a dinner party. What is on the menu?
A big salad; crusty bread with great olive oil for dipping; roasted garlic and roasted veggies; garlicky greens, salmon with a miso glaze or balsamic happing; roasted potatoes; dark chocolate and/or flour less chocolate torte for dessert; plenty of wine—maybe lambrusco because it’s cold out. Or anyone else like bourbon?
2. You are hosting a dinner party. Who is on your dream guest list? (People can be living or dead, famous or not).
Some of my best lady friends, my sister, my writing group, Ben Franklin, Woody Allen, Mark Twain, John Lennon, Joan Didion…this is starting to sound like a really big dinner party.
3. What’s the best trip you’ve ever been on?
I did a 3-week course on the Mediterranean diet in Italy in 2010. Worth every penny (and those 6 grad credits).
4. What is the best meal you ate at a restaurant?
It had nothing to do with the food and everything to do with the company. I’m grateful to have quite a few memories of enjoyable meals—it kind of makes up for the not-so-nice ones.
5. With whom did you have your first kiss?
I think it was on a school bus in the 8th grade with the boy I was “dating” at the time. I wish I could say I remembered it well, but it’s just a blur of chins and teeth.
6. If you were an animal, what kind of animal would you be?
I’ve been told I’m kind of catlike. I do like to stretch and yawn and slip quickly into small spaces.
7. What was the best birthday you ever had?
I’m going to hope that today is that best birthday! At least so far.
8. What is your favorite season?
I love summer, but I also dig fall a lot.
9. If you’re a yogi, what is your favorite yoga pose? If you’re not, what is your favorite type of exercise?
I have a love-hate relationship with half-pigeon. My hips are so damn tight. My right psoas muscle also loves to remind me I’m not getting any younger.
10. Who would you want to play you in a movie about your life?
Yikes! I don’t know—no one would buy Angelina Jolie as little old me, but hey, in a perfect world…
11. What was your first pet’s name? (If you never had a pet, what would you want to name it?)
My parents had two cats—Casey & Studley—when I was born.
- What are your desert island albums?
- Do you pay attention to astrology?
- What’s your hidden talent?
- How did you celebrate your last birthday?
- What’s your favorite way to spend a day off?
- Hot weather or cold weather?
- Do you have a “signature” dish you make? What is it?
- What’s your favorite drink? Alcohol or non…
- What song do you listen to over and over?
- What time do you usually go to bed?
- If you could travel anywhere, where would you go?
My Blogger Nominations (Note: I tried to make sure to nominate people that haven’t been nominated already, so there are definitely bloggers I appreciate that aren’t on the list because it appears they’ve already been nominated!)
13 thoughts on “Random Facts”
November 30, 2012 at 4:06 pm
First of all, thank you so much for nominating me! I am so honored, Jess
I also LOVE that you play the harp. I’m sure Hallelujah sounds so beautiful on it! I’m actually going to youtube that and see if anything shows up. And yes- bourbon is a must 🙂
November 30, 2012 at 4:08 pm
Also HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope it’s a great one 🙂
November 30, 2012 at 5:04 pm
November 30, 2012 at 10:58 pm
Happy birthday! I’m so glad you filled this out, it was so fun to read these random tidbits. I too have a love-hate relationship with pigeon! But when it’s good, it’s soooo good.
November 30, 2012 at 11:19 pm
Thanks! It’s been a nice day so far. And I agree-sometimes I think I could hang out in pigeon for, like, an hour. By an hour, I probably mean, like, 5 minutes, but hey…
December 1, 2012 at 12:16 pm
Thanks for nominating me love 🙂 I haven’t done a q and a in such a long time! LOVED reading yours xo
December 1, 2012 at 6:22 pm
You need to come play me ukulele. Dead flowers is a personal favorite and lately every time I hear sweet baby James I can’t help but crying, the hard and ugly kind of cry that feels so good
December 2, 2012 at 2:03 pm
That’s so crazy! I totally hear you about the ugly cry that feels good—so necessary sometimes.
December 2, 2012 at 2:01 pm
haha oh gosh, I haven’t done one of these in a while! I’m so jealous you did the Italy course – I feel like everyone has taken it! Hope your internship is going well – almost done, ahh!!
December 2, 2012 at 2:04 pm
I never studied abroad in undergrad, so I’m really glad I sucked it up and paid out the ass for the trip—it was so worth it! My internship is going well, but I’m getting all itchy to be done. How about you?
December 2, 2012 at 7:46 pm
[…] then I took this Friday off. I’d actually saved my floating vacation day from working Labor Day so I could spend my […]
December 7, 2012 at 4:18 am
[…] I’ve been nominated twice in the past week for this Liebster Award by the lovely ladies at Keeping it Real Food and Nutritiously […]
December 18, 2012 at 12:29 pm
[…] done such a post and since I have recently been nominated multiple times for the Liebster Award by Jess, Claire, Liv, Lacey, and GIna I figured I would take some time today to tell you a little bit […]