Happy weekend, guys! Anyone have any good plans? I’m spending Saturday with my mom and then heading to NJ for my grandfather’s 80th birthday party.
Friday night, I stayed in to work on an article and a paper, but I also took advantage of the time to make a giant pot of what we’ll just call “7 or 8 vegetable soup,” since it was such a random assortment. Most of this went straight into the freezer, as I have a feeling I’ll be needing something quick and easy I can warm up over the next few weeks.
Basically, all you do is throw a bunch of stuff in a pot with water. Bring it to a boil, then lower the heat, cover and simmer for a few hours. Here’s what I was working with:
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 leek, sliced/cut/whatever you do to leeks
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 turnip, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 zucchini, cut into half-moon slices
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas
- 1 15-oz can small white beans
- salt and pepper to taste
- oregano (1/2 tsp?)
What are you favorite kinds of soup? If you’re not a soup lover, what’s one of your go-to weeknight meals?