Do you ever buy something with a Best-By date a little closer than you’d like? I recently did that with some cottage cheese, which I really only use in oatmeal, of all things. The no-salt-added variety adds a lot of creaminess and protein without that weird “I’m eating cottage cheese in oatmeal” taste.
However, I prefer not to eat the exact same thing every day, so it usually takes me a couple weeks to get through a container. When I saw I had less than a week in which to use this one (I know you can use it for a few days after the use-by date, but I get skeeved out), I figured it would be a good chance to try something new. I had also just gotten some gorgeous raspberries (thanks, mom), so it was pretty clear what needed to happen—chocolate raspberry oats. Yes, I know I am way too into oatmeal, but trust me on this one.
- 1/3 c oats
- 1.5-1.75 cups water
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 banana, sliced
- 1/4 cup raspberries
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup cottage cheese
- More berries for garnish (optional)
- Bring water to a boil. Add oats and chia seeds and lower heat. Stir.
- Add cocoa, cinnamon and banana. Stir well. Keep stirring to break up banana pieces.
- When the oats have absorbed almost all the water, add vanilla. Stir and cook another few minutes
- Add raspberries and cottage cheese and stir for one more minute.
- Pour into a bowl and top with more berries, if desired. You can also add a dusting of cocoa powder and chocolate shavings, but I forgot to.
So far I’ve had this two days in a row. So much for not liking to eat the same thing each day.