Today I made the first pot of chili of the season. It’s smoky and spicy and features a little secret-ingredient molasses. Since my friend Alex gave me the idea to add molasses to chili last winter, I’ve been a fan.
This chili is vegan on its own but great with some grated sharp cheddar on top. I also baked some corn muffins (still need to work on the recipe). This definitely did a number on the sinus headache that had been closing in on me all morning.
- 3 bell peppers, diced (I used a red, a yellow, and a green)
- 2 jalepenos, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 a medium onion, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 diced roma tomatoes (or one 15-oz can diced tomatoes)
- 1/2 c leftover homemade tomato sauce
- 2 c water
- 1 15-oz can black beans (low sodium)
- 1 15-oz can kidney beans (low sodium)
- 1 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 1 tbsp chipotle paste (optional)
- cumin to taste (I like a lot)
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- pinch of salt
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add onions and garlic. Cook until onion is soft.
- Add peppers, tomatoes, water, sauce, beans, and spices. Bring to a boil and then simmer for an hour.